Sunday, February 9, 2014

Tim Ho Wan

Can't believe I have lived in Hong Kong all this time and still not had Tim Ho Wan's BBQ Pork Bun! Had it last night and it definitely did not disappoint! For those who don't know, their BBQ Pork Bun is no ordinary Char Siu Bau, the bun has the exterior of a baked pineapple bun while the inside is the same as a traditional char siu bau.

I was so gobsmacked on how amazing this was I just had to share it (with the very few that don't know). The bun had such a crumbly short exterior that almost melts on your mouth and you get a very slight hint of that sweet pineapple bun flavor when you are done with your bite. The interior of the bun was what any good char siu bau would have, soft moist pork in sweet syrupy goodness! Just writing about it is making me salivate.




Other dim sums on their menu were good too, their Siu Mai and Har Gau had very well cooked shrimp (most yum cha's I have been to, the shrimp has a maggoty rubbery texture).  Their turnip cake was softer to touch and not as gelatinous and tough as the ones I've had (I'm no expert on turnip cakes, but this one seemed better to me personally). The translucent dumpling with bits of green in it was their "steamed dumpling in chiu chow style", very crunchy texture from the vegetables in it. The chueng fen with beef was okaaay, not bad but not memorable. In terms of price, we ate all of this in only HKD 125! Overall, I was very pleasantly surprised last night.


So happy to have finally eaten here, can't believe Tim Ho Wan has been in Hong Kong since 2009 and I'm just eating here now! If you haven't, better go, you are missing out!

Tim Ho Wan

Shop 12A, Hong Kong Station (Podium Level 1, IFC Mall), Central

Ground Floor, 9-11 Fuk Wing Street, Sham Shui Po (this was the first one opened in 2009)

Ground Floor, 2-8 Warf Street, Seaview Building, North Point

Shop 49, Ground Floor, Popcorn 2, 9 Tong Chun Street, Tseung Kwan O (I went to this one)

Shop 72, Ground Floor, Olympic City 2, 8 Hoi Ting Road, Tai Kok Tsui 




No comments:

Post a Comment