Friday, February 7, 2014

Fish & Meat (Lunch)

I have heard so much about Fish & Meat and have been dying to visit since they have opened their doors last year in November, today I finally made it happen. They initially only had dinner service but this week opened up lunch, I booked a table as soon as I saw it on my feed (such a restaurant groupie). I'm  the kind of person that likes to read up on the restaurants I visit, usually it's just to find the menu so I know what to order before-hand. What I really liked about Fish & Meat before I even set foot in the restaurant was that they tell you where they source their produce from. I think it's nice to know where your food is coming from, especially if they are making the effort to source the best ingredients from all over the world. From doing all my "research" it seemed they focused on freshness and simplicity. As for the how the place looked, when I walked in got this whole "modern farm cottage" vibe. Not sure if that makes sense but if you go visit, you'll know what I mean.

When we were seated I asked the server which drink they would recommend and she told me that a popular one was their Homemade Lemonade with Blueberry Jam (interestinngg). I'd seen a post on their facebook page about a cocktail which was infused with the same blueberry jam so was couldn't wait to try it. It came in a little jar which I found super cute (random side point: if you look up at some of their lamps they are made from little jars too!). The lemonade was sparkly and tasted like what every good lemonade should, refreshing and zingy. I assume the jam gives the drink its color but the lemonade was quite tangy, so wasn't able to taste much of the jam. I asked the waitress if I should be tasting any berry flavor and she said she could add more jam to it if I wanted more. I liked my lemonade so I just left it as it was, (the color it was pretty to look at anyway).


They say their menu changes seasonally so I'm not sure how long this lunch menu will last, but it is exactly what is currently up on their website under "lunch". 


We started off with the Marinated Red Ahi Tuna, compressed watermelon, soy and basil vinaigrette. The vinaigrette was super fresh in flavor (I wish there was more of it, haha), very plump tuna and the watermelon definitely was needed to balance out the texture. I couldn't taste any soy but I did like the overall dish, nice  light start to the meal. 


Next we had their Crab & Jalapeno Crostini, I love crab and there was loads of it! This dish really exemplified Fish & Meat's overall vision. It was simple and the ingredients spoke for it self. I was really taken back by how fresh the crab tasted, and I don't know of you will get what I mean but I could actually taste the crab. There was a hint of cayenne pepper I think and the jalapeno added a little zing to the dish. The only thing was the crostini was a bit hard and not as crispy as I hoped, but I think the crab made up for that. 


For my main I ordered the Pan-fried sea bream with cherry tomatoes, fennel and pea puree. I was really satisfied with this. The skin was crispy, the flesh was moist and well seasoned. The puree was smooth and they even added some olives and calamari (not chewy at all) to the dish! Simple ingredients cooked well :) 


The other main ordered was the hand-ground veal and pork meatball baguette with mozzarella, pesto and tomato sauce. I did try a bit of the meatball and it was really hearty, juicy andvery strong herby flavor. I, for the life of me, can't remember what flavor herb it was, maybe oregano? I was told the baguette was crispy and crunchy. 


And finally to my favorite course of the meal, dessert! We had their Sicilian Lemon Tart and Chocolate Pot. I'm not a huge fan of chocolate mousse because it's usually super dense and is just too overpoweringly chocolate, but I really enjoyed the chocolate pot. It was topped with clotted cream (I love that you can see vanilla seeds in it) then had a nutty crumble underneath and then a very light airy smooth chocolate mousse. I was nice that they put it all in jar, made it more fun to eat :)

My partner preferred the lemon tart, don't get me wrong though, I liked the tart too but I loved the chocolate pot.  The crust was crumbly and the lemon custard was very "lemony" as my partner puts it. 


All and all, I'd give the restaurant a thumbs up :) Really liked their concept and how they jumped right into it, not only with the food but the restaurant decor too. Two favorites that I will not forget anytime soon will be their chocolate pot (so simple but genius!) and their crab jalapeno crostini. I have high hopes for their dinner menu!

Fish & Meat 
32 Wyndham Street, Central, Hong Kong

http://www.fishandmeat.hk/

https://www.facebook.com/FishandMeatHK


No comments:

Post a Comment